This job vacancy has now closed
Thanks to everyone who applied. If you’re interested in working for a trade union, why not visit the TUC’s jobs listings, which cover most trade unions in the UK?
- Part-time role – 18 hours per week
- One-year fixed-term contract initially
- Salary: £31,044 full-time equivalent per year – £15,522 pro rata
- Main location of work: Bexleyheath, south-east London (working at home also an option part of the time, or all the time in current circumstances)
- Closing date for applications: 10am, Tuesday 6 April 2021
About the branch
UNISON Bexley branch has over 1000 members spread across over 100 employers around the borough, including the council, schools, care homes and other public services. The branch is led by a friendly committee supported by expert staff from UNISON Greater London Region.
The branch has delivered some real successes for our members and seen our membership growing in recent years. We are looking to recruit someone to help us build on that success by providing excellent support and representation to our members throughout the borough, as well as providing a friendly point of contact for the branch and encouraging people to join and get more involved in the branch.
What you would be doing
Have you got what it takes to do the following?
- Represent members of UNISON Bexley branch employed primarily in the private, voluntary and non-council sectors, as well as those directly employed by the council
- Be the first point of contact with the branch for many of our members by:
- running the branch email inbox and telephone number/voicemail
- logging members’ cases onto our case management system
- Recruit and organise members across all eligible employers
If so, we would love to hear from you!
How to apply
Please read the full Job Description and Person Specification documents, then send your CV (no more than two pages) and a covering letter/email of no more than 1500 words, explaining why you meet the Person Specification, to email@example.com.
You can also email us there if you have any questions you’d like to ask us before you apply.
Tips for applying
UNISON Bexley branch has a diverse membership and over 80% of our members are women. We are an equal opportunities employer, committed to providing equal opportunities regardless of race or ethnic origin, gender identity, family situation, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
We welcome applications from everyone and would encourage you to apply even if you aren’t sure whether you meet every point of the person specification.
When you read the person specification, remember that generally you do not need to have direct union-related experience of the things on it, as long as you can give examples of things you have done that require similar skills, which you could apply to this role as well. Those things need not be in the workplace – perhaps you have demonstrated some of the skills through volunteering or in family or hobby settings.
It will be helpful to us when shortlisting if you can set your covering letter or email out in a way that makes it easy to see which points of the person specification you are referring to. Make sure you keep within the 1500-word limit, but don’t worry if your letter/email is shorter than this – it’s a limit rather than a target. Other than those points there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to write your letter/email.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Closing date and next steps
Please make sure we receive your application by 10am on Tuesday 6 April 2021.
We intend to shortlist and contact shortlisted applicants within approximately one week of this closing date.
We are aiming to conduct interviews (online) during the week beginning Monday 19 April 2021 and choose the successful candidate during that week.
This is a new role and as such we will be ready for the successful candidate to start work with us as soon as they are available.
- Job Description (PDF, 126KB)
- Person Specification (PDF, 126KB)
- Downloadable copy of the above job advert (PDF, 125KB)
You can also download the documents in Word format if you prefer: